How We Start Dreadlocks
We have a variety of ways to help you start you r dreadlocks journey. Depending on you hair texture, condition, length, the locs you desire and your budget we can find a method that works for you.
- Comb Coils – the most popular method to start dreadlocks. It’s done by making little coils in the size pattern your want your new dreadlocks to be in. It takes 1.5 – 2 hours to install, requires maintenance every 3-4 weeks and locs generally start budding in 4-6 months. Home washing is discouraged as locs will unravel/loosen. This is best for medium fine to thick coarse hair.
- Interlocking– Interlocking is also a very popular method of starting locs. A latch hook needle is used to form micro-knots to form the dreadlocks. This method is very time consuming but it works for hair that is difficult to loc as well as on clients with straight hair and those who want locs immediately. Interlocks can be washed within days of locking without unraveling. It takes 6 to 18 hours depending on the length and thickness of the clients hair, the desired loc size and how many stylist are working at once.
- Instant Locs – Instant locs are done using a micro crochet needle to instantly loc the hair. This process uses a combination of interlocking and palm rolling as well, to tighten the roots. It takes 6 to 18 hours depending on the length and thickness of the clients hair, the desired loc size and how many stylist are working at once. This can be done on straight and kinky hair and requires maintenance ever 4-5 weeks.
- Loc Extensions Cost – Loc extensions is one of our most popular ways of starting and extending locs as most people want to avoid the “awkward stage.” Loc extensions can be a bit pricy due to the time it takes to create the loc extensions and install them, it’s always best to do a consultation and plan ahead for the size, length and color dreads you want.
- Kinky Twist With and Without Hair – You can start your hair by starting with Kinky twist and continuing to re-tighten and roll without pulling them down. In the beginning your locs will have a twist appearance but with time it will form into locs. It takes 1.5 – 3 hours to install, requires maintenance every 3-5 weeks and locs generally start budding in 4-6 months. This is best for medium fine to thick coarse hair.
Whether you’re looking for permanent loc extensions, starter locs, faux locs or crochet locs, the Mahogany Locs and Natural Hair salon team are the best in West Palm Beach and Lake Worth. We pride ourselves in being the number one loc salon in Palm Beach and South Florida with over 20 years experience in loc maintenance and styling.